Senior Development Officer
Posted On: 2019-02-01
Closing On: Position will remain open until filled.
Location: Edmonton, AB
Employment Type: Full-time Permanent
Supervisor: President & CEO
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (evening/weekend work as necessary)
The Mental Health Foundation raises and disburses funds to improve addiction and mental health care for people in Alberta, with a focus on youth and their families and community integrated services. We survey and identify gaps across the addiction and mental health care system and invest in programs and initiatives with the potential to ignite transformational change.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Senior Development Officer will focus on increasing donor engagement and philanthropic giving at the major giving level ($10,000+). The incumbent will manage a full portfolio of prospects for major giving and planned giving, will be responsible for developing and implementing strategic fundraising activities to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors, and will collaborate with the CEO and program leaders within the addiction and mental health care field in order to advance new programs and initiatives. The Senior Development Officer will be responsible for advancing objectives in the foundation’s fund development plan.
The Senior Development Officer will be encouraged to explore and propose new approaches and initiatives to increase support for the foundation’s priorities, and to coordinate and collaborate with staff and colleagues within the numerous partnerships the foundation has developed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serving as an ambassador for the Mental Health Foundation, consistently and convincingly demonstrating the role and importance of philanthropic support.
- Actively managing a portfolio of major gift ($10,000+) and planned giving prospects and donors.
Planning, developing and implementing individualized cultivation and solicitation strategies for prospects and donors.
- Identifying prospects and establishing goals in consultation with the CEO.
- Attending and participating in regular prospecting meetings to discuss, plan and track prospect assignment clearance.
- Preparing or refining briefing notes, solicitation plans, stewardship updates and call reports.
- Writing and editing materials including case statements, tailored proposals, progress reports and prospect correspondence.
- Involving volunteers in major gift and planned giving cultivation; developing and implementing volunteer engagement strategies and providing ongoing support to volunteers.
- Maintaining detailed records of contacts with donors, prospects and volunteers in the donor information system (Blackbaud CRM)
- Serving as a resource to colleagues based on prior success and experience.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years of experience in front-line fundraising role.
- Proven track record of cultivating and securing major gifts.
- Evidence of leadership, initiative and excellent follow-through
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, tact and diplomacy; excellent presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work in a results-oriented environment.
- Attention to detail and ability to plan and prioritize tasks to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated MS Office, database and spreadsheet program skills.
- Experience with Blackbaud CRM or related system.
- Ability to exercise judgment particularly concerning confidential matters.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with good driving record (abstract) and reliable vehicle required. Some travel within the province will be required.
- Familiarity with the health care environment, specifically addiction and mental health, an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Foundation offers competitive benefits and generous vacation time. Salary is commensurate with experience. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.