With an investment of $500,000 over the next five years, the Mental Health Foundation has proudly invested in a program called All In For Youth. Our collaboration on the initiative is part of our strategy to support prevention and early interventions for children and youth.
All In For Youth is a collaborative effort between a number of agencies to help ensure wraparound supports are provided for getting at-risk children and youth successfully through their educational journey to high school completion by: increasing students’ academic achievement; engagement in school; and developing their resiliency.
The demonstration sites for All In For Youth are St Alphonsus Elementary, John A McDougall Elementary, Delton Elementary, Spruce Avenue Junior High and Eastglen Senior High School.
We are proud to partner with the following organizations, which have committed leadership, knowledge and connections to advance this important work:
- Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton & Area
- Edmonton Public Schools
- REACH Edmonton
- The Family Centre
- United Way of the Alberta Capital Region
- City of Edmonton FCSS
- Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Edmonton Community Foundation
Why this Project is Important:
Mental health and wellness is a critical component to support in order to ensure that young students have the ability to learn. Half of all mental illnesses begin by the age of 13 and three-quarters by the mid-20s. This is a vital time in development, particularly for those children and youth who are faced with a number of obstacles to achieve success at school.
Along with helping children succeed in school and helping their families get stronger, we will see many other benefits:
- Improved social equity for children facing barriers, including children who are indigenous, immigrants and refugees;
- Improved employability of youth and an elevated quality for our workforce;
- Contributions toward ending the cycle of poverty; and
- Reduced costs to taxpayers of remedial education, health care, social supports, etc.
Learn more about how Mental Health Foundation support helps improve mental health and resiliency here.